Wednesday, October 06, 2010

Add It To My Want List: Lois Lane (1986)

I like to think that I know quite a bit about comics, especially those published by DC and Marvel in the 70s and 80s. Every now and then, however, I learn about that I still have a lot to learn about comics. I was flipping through the bins at a LCS not too long ago when I noticed an interesting couple of books filed under Misc 'L'. Did you know that there was a two-part Lois Lane miniseries published in 1986? I sure didn't. I don't know Mindy Newell's writing very well (I think she did some Legion), but I'll jump at the chance to read anything with Gray Morrow artwork. He'd be the perfect fit for a newspaper based, urban story. I don't know where this one fits in the grand scheme of Crisis and/or Man of Steel, but I don't really care. The shop was asking a bit too much for these (all of their back issues are horribly over priced), but you can bet that I will be scouring bargains bins for this series until it's mine!

7 comments:

Argo Plummer said...

I have owned this twice in my life and never thought too highly of it--sold it off both times. Wouldn't spend too much money on it, but sounds like you are looking for bargains anyway

Aaron said...

I think I may have seen this in the Bargain Basement of our LCS. They're going for $1 each.

Jacque Nodell said...

I have never seen the interiors, but the covers are great! I would love to get them too!

Felicity Walker said...

Interior scans please! :-)

GarBut said...

Newell wrote the CATWOMAN miniseries a couple of years later; that one was very good, IMO, and has been collected as "Sister's Keeper."

This LOIS LANE cover looks great. Give that character a new series now, with a detective/reportage angle! Brubaker and Lark (or, Cooke), you guys listening?

diana green said...

This is one of the smarter Lois Lane books out there. She comes across as confident and fully engaged in her own right here, without the aid of the big caped dude. It's been a few years since I read my copies, but you are wise to search this out!
This was a mini-series after the fact. Its original intent, according to fan scuttlebutt at the time, was to be the inaugural 4 issue storyline of a new Lois title. You can practically feel the issue breaks when you read it.

Graeme said...

Kelly Thompson covered this book in her She Has No Head! Column on Comics Should Be Good in January:

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2010/01/25/she-has-no-head-giving-lois-lane-a-second-look-for-the-first-time/

Mindy Newell even commented to share some insights on the behind-the-scenes shenanigans that ultimately doomed it.