Friday, October 19, 2007

You've Been Warned: DC Comics Presents #32

Some childhood memories belong in the past. I spotted this book in the bargain bin, and I recognized it immediately. This cover really grabbed my attention back in the day. I couldn’t remember the story at all, and I can’t even tell you what happen to my copy. In fact, it might have been my sister’s copy because she did buy some Wonder Woman related stuff back then. Most of the kids on my street read comics circa 1980 and we passed them around from house to house, so it’s hard to know where any of them ended up. It should have ended up in the trash, and I don’t say that about many funnybooks.


To summarize, Eros is in love with Wonder Woman and when he is spurned he magically makes WW and Superman fall in love (yeah, like you needed to twist their arms) and hilarity ensues. Steve Trevor and Lois Lane both get treated like yesterday’s news for a while until Aphrodite sends our involuntary lovebirds to find a rare flower guarded by a Minotaur. If you’re confused, don’t worry – it’s better that way. All of this and we’ve got Colletta watering down Kurt Schaffenberger’s pencils to the point that they are not recognizable. Oh yeah, there’s a “Whatever Happened To?” back-up that makes the first story seems completely coherent. If you see this one for sale – walk, don’t run.

3 comments:

-Keller said...

"we’ve got Colletta watering down Kurt Schaffenberger’s pencils to the point that they are not recognizable."

I HATE when that happens!

Anonymous said...

I have an original art page from this book and let me tell you-Colletta did some beautiful inking there. What comic were you looking at? I'd send you a scan of the page if you'd agree to publish it and make the appropriate apologies....but I know you wouldn't.

Ed Ooo said...

L-o-o-o-v-e Vinnie's girls. Hottest Wonder Woman was definitely the Colletta version. How could you blame Superman? Spell or no spell, I'd be on that....