Tuesday, February 05, 2008

You've Been Warned: Brave and the Bold (2007) #1

Even though it only cost me $1, I felt very hesistant to pick up this book as it's risky seeing your favourite series of all-time relaunched. It reminds me of that Tina Fey line about the rumore Bennifer remake of Casablanca "It's for those who liked the original, but wished it was terrible". Waid script start off just fine - a bit of a classic Batman mystery and some decent dialogue. Then we hit Vegas. I thought that only TV writers were obsessed with Vegas, now we've got to see out favourite JLAers playing poker. By this point, I've pretty much given up.

Actually, it was the mental exhaustion from trying to follow the action in the Batcave fight that first made me groan. I can't believe I used to really like Perez (we're talking post-Dillin JLA and Song of the Tiger here, folks). I could not make heads or tails of what was happening in most of the fight scenes. By the time I saw Bruce and Hal chatting up some women in circa 1981 Studio 54 outfits, I knew that I would not be buying #2. I kept expecting Terry Long to show up in one of his suits with super-wide lapels. When is the last time George Perez turned on the TV or read a magazine? I recommend picking up a copy of the original Brave and Bold #200 to cleanse the palate.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

With March's issue #23, The Brave & The Bold will be bringing back the Red Circle heroes!

J.A.P.