Friday, October 08, 2010

My Reading Pile - March, 1983 Pt.2

Wow! Looking back at what was for sale that month, it seems that I was moving away from DC just as much as Marvel. I purchased a grand total of 3 DC books on the racks that month, skipping long-time favourites including the penultimate issue of Brave and the Bold and the Atom gone wild issue of Justice League of America.

I very rarely read Legion of Super-Heroes back then. I think I was a bit intimidated by the continuity and the sheer volume of characters. Something about Legion of Super-Heroes #300 appealed to me, though as I bought it and it remained the only Legion book in my collection for years. I was likely just a sucker for these Anniversary Issues that DC published in the 80s, and this cover didn't hurt at all. At the time, I did not realize just how much work went into putting this cove together. I lost my copy somewhere along the way, and I have got to remind myself to keep an eye peeled for a replacement.

I had been with the Flash pretty consistently since 1979, and was a huge fan of storylines involving Professor Zoom, so Flash #322 issue was a natural fit. I hadn't bought a Flash issue since the first issue in the Goldface story. To be quite honest, I was not a big fan of Carimine Infantino's artwork during this time period (I'm still not). I understood that he was the original Flash artist, but it just didn't work for me on the 80s Flash (nor did I like it on Star Wars or Dial H For Hero). I didn't know who they were by name, but I really missed Irv Novick and Don Heck. I did not stick with the series through the whole Trial of the Flash storyline and , to be honest, I don't even recall this one have a Creeper back-up.

As I've likely mentioned on here a few times before, I love Green Arrow. I was also a big fan of the mini-series format which was really taking off at this time. I somehow missed the first issue of this one (since purchased), but the cover to Green Arrow #2 really caught my eye. I thought Vertigo was a pretty interesting villain and the time, and this storyline actually holds up quite well. Sure, we're not quite at the Mike Grell version of Ollie just yet, but we are certainly on our way. I don't think I was enamored with Trevor Von Eeden's artwork at the time, but I have come to appreciate it a bit more over the years.

What did I miss that month? Some really great stuff. How about some awesome Evanier/Spiegle Blackhawk? How about the 500th issue of Adventure Comics? I'd also moved completely away from Charlton at this stage, and was complete ignorant when it came to indie stuff like Nexus.

4 comments:

Andrew Wahl said...

Scott:

Surprisingly, the only comic from your March '83 stack we both read was Legion #300. I LOVED that issue (and still do!) And, I agree, DC did put out some attractive "Anniversary" issues. I need to check out that Green Arrow mini. I might have read it back in the day, but I sure don't recall it.

I like this Reading Pile by month feature. It takes you back!

Cheers,
Andrew
ComicsBronzeAge.com

GarBut said...

Infantino on '80s FLASH and AVENGERS destroyed young GarBut's ability to appreciate the master's art for decades. (To a lesser degree, Ditko on MACHINE MAN, too.)

Instead of blaming STAR WARS on Infantino, I'll give Carmine a break and blame it on Jaxxon, the talking green rabbit introduced in the very first post-movie (episode 4) comic story. Even 9-year-old me knew immediately that this was absolute crap.

Cerebus said...

The comic clique I was in around this time absolutely loathed Infantino, especially on Star Wars. It wasn't until several years later that I gained an appreciation for it and saw how well he handles the action scenes and created drama with a static image.

But still.. those chins.

Graeme said...

Generally speaking, late period Infantino was a disappointment (most comic artists in their late period generally are-- certainly late period Kirby and Kane were equally dreadful-- about the only exceptions are Kubert and Eisner) but with the right inker willing to put a lot of work into Infantino's very loose pencils, he could still look great.

Dennis Jensen, who did a good chunk of Infantino's inking on Dial "H" For Hero and a few issues of The Flash, made Infantino look like it was 1962 again. Dave Hunt (or Frank McLaughlin, I can't remember which) I think worked with Infantino once and I thought the results were pleasing. But in both cases you're dealing with very meticulous inkers.

And more love for Legion 300 (and DC's anniversary issues generally). I was a casual fan of the Legion at best but that issue was sensational.