Thursday, September 04, 2014

Memoirs of a Bronze Age Baby: Avengers #168

What a great time era for The Avengers. I feel like I hopped aboard at the perfect time as there were some fantastic stories in the 150-200 stretch. I particularly love this one. I sat down to read it again the other night and I was surprised by how many images were permanently burned in my brain. This one is jam packed with heroes as the Guardians of the Galaxy are along for the ride. There are also a ton of cameos; everyone from Two-Gun Kid to Doctor Strange. The tension over leadership styles between Cap and Iron Man was also very believably written by shooter. The best moment, however, is when the team is humiliated by Gyrich due to the lack of security at Avengers mansion. Within a few panels, he becomes the character you love to hate. I just adore it. 

5 comments:

El Vox said...

Yes, I recently read Avengers #150, and it was pretty fun, and mostly a recap of some of their past story lines as it was also an anniversary issue. What better way to snare a few more Marvel zombies? It was mostly also a way to change up the team a bit. Thor steps down as the leader. Overall a fun read.

Anonymous said...

What about the epic cosmic battle between Korvac and Starhawk?
George Perez was brilliant!
I always loved the cosmic stuff!

Gary said...

I started reading Avengers with issue 134. 164-200 is a phenomenal run.164-166 and then the Korvac Saga starting in 167 is some of the best comics ever in my humble opinion.

Edo Bosnar said...

Yep, I think those few years leading up to Avengers #200 was the best run in the series. The stories done by Shooter during that time were certainly among the best things he's ever written. And Perez was just on fire...

The Groovy Agent said...

The Shooter/Perez et al era was one of the highlights of Avengers history for sure! As much as I love the Englehart era, this one beats it by "this much" 'cause Byrne, Perez, and Sal trumps Bob Brown and Don Heck (though the BB issues have grown on me over time). The Ultron/Nefaria/Korvac stuff ages well and are still exhilarating reads! In other woids, I agree wit'chall!