Monday, January 15, 2007

#10 - Top 12 Comic Book Characters

10. Lone Ranger

I can’t really admit to having grown up on the Lone Ranger. I did see some reruns of the 50s show when I was a kid and certainly enjoyed them, but the Lone Ranger was never really part of my childhood. It wasn’t until I read an article in Comic Book Marketplace 6 or 7 years ago, featuring those wonderful painted covers, that I became a true Lone Ranger fan. The moment I saw them, I just had to have them.

Thanks to this era of eBay and instant gratification, within weeks I had a dozen of ‘em. Nice, shiny, beautiful covers. You know what else? Those stories between the covers weren’t half bad, either.I really love the Lone Ranger because he’s the most misunderstood man in the west. He’s not actually wanted for anything, but the very fact the he wears a mask targets him for suspicioneverywhere ge goes. He has to win each person over individually, but once he has – they are an ally for life. Of course, as Lyle Lovett once sang, Tonto does the dirty work for free and he certainly plays a vital role in these adventures. Yet, there is something about the Lone Ranger, whose identity was borne of tragedy (like so many heroes) that makes him the real stand-out for me.

There’s nothing quite like a Lone Ranger comic book. A beautiful painting on the outside and a Newman/Gill masterpiece on the inside.

No comments: