Thursday, July 21, 2011

Gil Kane Cover of the Month: DC Comics Presents #62

This series features some of my favourite Gil Kane covers of the 80s, and this one is right up there with the best of them. Sure, it's very 'posed' and nowhere near naturalistic, but I like them like that when they involve Golden Age heroes as it is reminiscent of another era. In fact, this one brings to my one of my all-time favourite covers: Action Comics #52. It's highly symbolic as the entire world seems to be at stake as our heroes take on the Nazis. I find the placement of the heroes to be interesting, as Superman defers to Uncle Sam. For me, Gil Kane's Superman from this period always looks like Superboy (probably has something to do with all those Superboy covers). While this is a grand cover, it's the small touch of Uncle Sam rolling up his sleeve that really sells it for me. The interior artwork by Irv Novick and Dave Hunt is pretty top notch as well.

1 comment:

Jim Ryan said...

I'm glad you thought so much of the artwork and concentrated on that because, well...

...I read this when it came out, and frankly had to make a few queries on how I could get my money back; that story was *awful*!

Spoilers if you really don't want to know what happened; come to think of it, wish I could forget...





So we have a bunch of neo-Nazis who discover that if they grab hold of the physical Constitution of the US, the actual document, that the US starts to get all fuzzy-headed and loses its spine. They imagine in the piece that soon after the George Lincoln Rockwell Fan Club does the deed, we end up with the Cuban Missile Crisis being replayed with Jimmy Carter as the president, ready to surrender to the Ruskies.

Give. Me. A. Break...

It was like a bad Golden Age piece that someone in his 70s tried to tweak for the kidulas, give them something he thinks they'll all plotz over as they read it.

In 1943, maybe, but not in the middle of the Bronze Age just as THE WATCHMEN is starting its run, sorry.

After a lot of good Freedom Fighters stories about Earth X in the ten years prior, you'd expect something of value when they met the Man of Steel. It was a wasted opportunity, and a big waste of time.