Friday, February 11, 2011

My Reading Pile: October, 1989 Pt. 2

Ugh! Looking back (thanks to Kang's Time Platform at Mike's Amazing World of Marvel Comics), I see that while Marvel was cranking out a ton of titles back then, very few of worthy of note. That's likely why my pickings were slim and I steered clear of most Marvel from this point onwards.

I was getting pretty solidly hooked on the Silver Surfer at this stage. I had always liked the character and, while I wasn't truly on board at the time this volume launched, I was a dedicated really for 80 consecutive issues or so. For anyone who has complained that the late 60s series consisted of too much navel gazing, they will be pleasantly surprised by the inter stellar adventures here. While the series was good at this stage, it wasn't until Thanos' return (in just two issues' time) that things really started cooking!

I loved the Avengers as a kid, and stuck with them for better or for worse, in sickness and in health. If memory serves, Avengers West Coast (I always preferred it as WCA) was actually quite a bit better than the main title during this era. I think John Byrne was doing really good work at this stage, and I really liked the return of the original Human Torch a couple of issues earlier. This was a weaker issue as I was not such a huge fan of the whole Acts of Vengeance thing.

Avengers #311 is another Acts of Vengeance tie-in. Overall, it's pretty uninspired but you've got a pretty good roster at this point. I always enjoyed the interplay between She-Hulk and Starfox, but they did not even appear in this one. This is a pretty forgettable issue and is surprisingly uninspired considering the fact that it involves an attack by a horde of robots. I would stick with this title on and off for a few more years, but it was more out of a sense of duty than anything else. What did I miss that month? Not much.

2 comments:

Mark said...

Silver Surfer was one of the few titles I collected back then, but after Thanos, things started downhill and I lost interest.

Edo Bosnar said...

These came out during one of my brief returns to comics reading: I remember following Avengers WC (heh, WC...) and X-factor for a while. Interesting that you think Byrne was doing good work on AWC - I tend to agree with you, but from the internets I get the general impression that this is very much a minority opinion.