Thursday, February 10, 2011

My Reading Pile: October, 1989 Pt.1

At this point, I am in my penultimate year of high school and a knee injury has taken me out of the second half of the football season. I had a lot more time on my hands and was really getting back into comics after taking quite a few years off. Here's a look at some of the DC Comics I picked up that month.

I had read the Longbow Hunters, but wasn't really 100% into the ongoing series just yet. With Green Arrow #26, I became truly hooked and didn't leave the series until it ended with #139 (I didn't even mind Connor Hawke). Oliver Queen quickly became one of my favourite characters of all-time. I'd always liked him with Green Lantern and as a JLA member, but he always seemed a bit one-dimensional. This was a strange one, but it managed to really open my eyes.

Detective Comics #609 was a good one for me. I was really digging the two main Bat books during this period but, to be perfectly honest, I didn't love the Mud Pack story arc. I was quite intrigued by the Anarky character in this initial story, as he seemed quite unique. I was also just head over heels for Norm Breyfogle's artwork. Everyone I knew was talking Todd MacFarlane all the time back then, but I would sing Breyfogle's praises. Those praises fell on deaf ears.


I scooped up Green Lantern: Emerald Dawn #1 when I saw it on the shelves. Was I a sucker for #1 issues at this point? Maybe a little, but I remember really getting into this miniseries. Green Lantern was always second-tier for me as a kid, but I found Hal to be much more interesting here. I'd like to revisit it, and I'm sure I've got most if not all of the floppies somewhere. I never did read the second Emerald Dawn. I heard that I didn't miss much.

What did I miss that month? Well, I wasn't reading cool stuff like Animal Man, Doom Patrol or The Question and I also missed the launch of Legends of the Dark Knight. Next Time: my Marvel books.

3 comments:

Pj Perez said...

I love Norm Breyfogle. So underrated.

And GL:ED II was basically "How Sinestro became evil," so if that doesn't interest you, then no, you missed nothing. That said, I loved both series.

Graeme said...

I'm trying to remember what I read from that period. None of what you did. I was definitely reading the Superman books, which had just regained Action Comics and George Perez (who was supposed to write and draw and eventually just plotted and did breakdowns). I bought the first issue of Legends of the Dark Knight (and passed up on the rest). The Stern/Lyle Starman was a mainstay. I'm blanking on anything else I bought.

You also missed out on the first issues of The Sandman. But then so did I.

MattW said...

My first Batman-related book was Detective 586 with the Ratcatcher. Also was/is a huge Breyfogle fan. Great stuff!