Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Single Issue Hall of Fame: Superman's Girl Friend Lois Lane #77

I love 80 Page Giants. You love 80 Page Giants. I think it's safe to say that we all love 80 Page Giants. They are all great, but can be quite pricey these days. A while back, I was able to get my hands on a copy of this issue for a few bucks and am very pleased with my investment. Silver Age Lois Lane stories are amongst the kookiest you can find and this volume provides a wonderful sampling of all the series had to offer. Highlights include her becoming a witch (not really), losing her mind (not really) and dying in an explosion only to haunt Superman as a spectral spirit (not really). You get the point. The real jaw dropper in here is not featured on the cover. Lois is hit with a growth ray which causes her to plump up quite remarkably. She gains so much weight that she must buy clothes at the 'Fat Girl's Shoppe'. I kid you not. Of course, she's not at all worried about her health, just about what Superman will think of her. As an aside, I really miss the old days of stories based on concealing secret identities. Sure, they may seem a bit silly by today's standards but it was always a fun plot device. This one is a blast all around, and you should definitely add it to your collection.

No comments: