Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Single Issue Hall of Fame: X, The Man With the X-Ray Eyes

This is movie adaptation perfection! Paul S. Newman does a wonderful job distilling this kooky Roger Corman movie into a wonderfully paced 36 pages. This is the story of a scientist willing to risk everything to increase the light spectrum visible to the human, or something like that (I'm no scientician!). The real treat here is the Frank Thorne art. He does a wonderful job at portraying the 'x-ray effect'. My favourite panel is the 'worm's eye view' of the multiple-level apartment building as seen by Xavier while he is trying to sleep. If you ever see this one for sale on the cheap, I strongly recommend that you pick it up. My thanks for my good friend and fellow lover of all things strange and obscure, Mickey C. for the care package that included this fine book.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Scott,

I just discovered this site and wanted to compliment you on the diverseity of covers, artists and discussions. As a confirmed Ditko-head I love reading about others views on his stuff. I have practically everything he's drawn and have written about his Charlton work in the late 1960s-early 1970s for Charlton in Comic Book Marketplace some years ago. His style certainly became sparse as the years progressed, but he could still turn out some real eye openers from time to time.

Thanks again and keep up the great work.

Nick Caputo

Scott M said...

Thanks for stopping by and for the kind words. I've certainly read many of your articles in those mags (I still miss CBM every day).

Please feel free to look aroud - I'd be very interested to hear your thought on some of the junk I've been discussing.