Thursday, April 23, 2009

A Couple of Sad Fawcett House Ads from 1954

Final issues of long-running series have always intrigued me. I tend to have bittersweet emotions while reading them, but it's obvious that the publishers weren't always feeling as sentimental. Look at these two ads found in Marvel Family #89 (January, 1954), the final comic book to feature any of the 'Marvels' until the 70s. The first one is a typical company ad, highlighting all of the fine Fawcett titles available. That's great, but the curtain fell on Captain Marvel Adventures in November, 1953 - two months earlier. Next up is an ad from the back of the book, inviting readers to join the Captain Marvel Fan Club. I'd love to know when the final 'Magic Membership Card' was sent out. End of an era, folks.


3 comments:

Graeme said...

Over the past year I've been doing a bit of research of the Canadian comic books of the 1940s (the ones by Bell, featuring Johnny Canuck, The Penguin, etc.) Their demise was swift-- they bought an expensive press in 1946 to print in colour and compete with the Americans but the Canadian government wouldn't grant their request for additional paper (rationing was still on) and Bell pretty much was doomed as a comic book publisher.

Anyway, the reason I mention this is because you read the last issues of Bell's comics they're proudly trumpeting a massive expansion beyond the 3-4 books they did into solo books for Johnny Canuck and The Penguin and other characters. It's heartbreaking.

Scott M said...

Very interesting.

I remember seeing a Dundas St W address in an old (Superior?) reprint.

I think it would be not too far from my house, and I've always wanted to see if the building is still standing - but I forgot to joy down the address.

I know that one of the other WW2 era publishers was right downtown.

Graeme said...

Bell was, I believe (it's been a while since I was looking at the indicia) on King Street I think near Yonge. Many of the artists they employed were still in school in Toronto-- Leo Bachle who created Johnny Canuck attended Danforth Tech.