Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Dreamy Splash Pages Pt. 2

It's unfortunate that Mort Meskin wasn't give more cover assignments in the late 40s and early 50s because he was on top of his game. I'm certain that he would have excelled as a cover artist as he was the master of the splash page. This splash page, from the final story in Strange World of Your Dreams #3, shows just how talented he was at laying out a page. The tilt he gives to the tower, creates a sense of vertigo in the reader. The figures in the foreground are dwarfed by the tower, and yet still seem dynamic. You can really see the influence he had on Ditko - as this page has both Dr. Strange and a Charlton horror vibe to it. The premise behind many of the stories in this series is that they are based on actual reader submissions. I've never understood how that work for a first issue - but I'm not one to questions the likes of Simon & Kirby. Meskin is amazing - 'nuff said.

4 comments:

Jacque Nodell said...

Do you know many issues were in this series?

I love when comics would base stories off letters written in, a few romance books did it too. You do have to wonder though about the authenticity...

Scott M said...

There were only 4 issues in this series. There are a lot of great one and two-page 'dream analysis' stories. Quite fun - really reminds of the Gold Key UFO & Outer Space series from the 70s with 'real' UFO reports.

RoK said...

Tho this is credited to Meskin it sure looks like pure Kirby and Simon to me.

I know Meskin worked for them but I don't know if he tried to mimick Kirby or if Simon's inks gave everything the SK look.

Just sayin'.

Scott M said...

I think it's just the 'company look'.

I got Jpegs of the full series if you're ever interested in 'em, Mac.