Monday, September 21, 2009

Memoirs of a Bronze Age Baby: Ghost Rider #69

For some reason, Ghost Rider was one of my favourite comic book titles back in 1981 and 1982. I was picking it up as often as, if not more often than, the likes of Batman, Daredevil and Amazing Spider-Man. Looking back, I certainly can't say that these were great comics, but they were likely as good as Ghost Rider comics ever got. I think there was something about the carnival/circus setting that really appealed to me. It was a pretty unique backdrop in the comic book world. This issue starts off with pretty funny scene, where a traffic cop reconsiders his attempt to give Ghost Rider a speeding ticket. I think that this one always appealed to me, because it reminded me of the Killdozer cover I'd seen in old house ads. As it turns out, there's nothing mystical behind this menacing machine, just a belligerent drunk. This may have been the first time I'd ever seen a jealous man in a drunken rage in comics.

1 comment:

Jeremy A. Patterson said...

This was a good comic!

J.A.P.