Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Single Issue Hall of Fame: World's Finest #245

OK, now this is one you should all track down. First, we get a very nice Neal Adams cover featuring half the Martian army. As you may know, Martian Manhunter was pretty much adrift in the DCU throughout much of the 70s, so any appearance is welcome. The story is a pretty entertaining Bob Haney yarn with very nice Swanderson artwork. The Green Arrow and Black Canary stories actually form a decent two-parter written by Conway with artwork by Nasser(Netzer) and Austin artwork. Whatever happened to old Ursus? For my money, the final two stories are what really set this issue apart from the rest. There's a terrific Vigilante story with stunning Gray Morrow artwork (I really wish they'd collect all of his 70s Vig stories). Finally, we get one of those awesome WW2 era Wonder Woman stories. I love this story, and I really wish Jim Sherman had been given more Wonder Woman work as he was a natural. There is a sequence where she's playing possum and taken into a Nazi fortress that is absolutely stunning. Find this one and buy it!

5 comments:

Jim McClain said...

Absolutely agreed. There was a panel of Black Canary changing clothes that was very important to my adolescence.

Andrew Wahl said...

I love this one, too. Austin’s inks during this made just about any penciler look like an all-star, and Michael Nasser was prtty good to start with.

The Groovy Agent said...

Another vote of 100% agreement from this corner! This was the absolute best, from cover to cover, issue of the dollar size World's Finest. Great post!!

Argo Plummer said...

This was the first DC dollar comic I bought (along with an issue of Superman Family) and I loved every page of it. I was about six and read it so much that the cover and the first few pages tore off. I have since replaced it but haven't read it in a long time. I need to rectify that. Thanks for the memories.

Scott M said...

You 4 gents are wise. Very wise.