Wednesday, June 09, 2010

I Read Something New: Doc Savage #1

As you may have guessed, I don't read too many recent comics. When I see something up my alley - I will give it a shot. I was able to pick up this book at half-price, and the combination of Doc Savage and the Avenger was something I could not pass up. Sadly, my hopes for a great revival were immediately dashed. The lead story was all over the place. I've never been a fan of Howard Porter's art, but his storytelling is particularly poor here. Several narrative hiccups forced me to re-read pages in an attempt to understand the flow of the story. For anyone who has read it - what was that bit about "This is what you've decided to be scared of?" after Renny appears? All in all, it was a mess. I much preferred the Justice Inc. back-up feature, both in terms of writing and artwork. Scott Hampton's artwork has that photo-realistic vibe, and it works quite well here. We are sucked into the story immediately, and it ends with a nice cliffhanger. Not bad for 10 pages, but not enough to get me to pick up issue #2. Grade: C-

2 comments:

craig said...

Yes,Scott. I actually read this one "in front of the rack" (not hard to do these days of decompression) and immediately took a pass on it. It's a shame because Malmont surely knows the character and in his prose work has shown a great feel for the pulp era. A dud indeed. Craig.

Jeremy A. Patterson said...

Will you try the Mighty Crusaders Special or the first issue of the Mighty Crusders mini-series?

J.A.P.