Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Trade Marks: The Adventures of Nightwing and Flamebird

I saw this TPB deeply discounted and could not resist picking it up. I’ve owned a large stack of Superman Family books over the years, but only a couple ha d stories featuring the Kandorian duo. I can only assume that something in the current DCU inspired this book, as I can’t believe that it would otherwise have been put together. There is a single Silver Age story, and then we move into the back-up strip from Superman Family. Paul Kupperberg's scripts vary in quality, and it is tough to get much in the way of characterization in a mere 8 pages. Kandor appears to be on the brink of civil way throughout most of these tales, but this is never explored in much detail. Ken Landgraf's artwork improves as the volume progresses, but is never anything more than average. The final story was drawn by Marshall Rogers, who was not a great fit. Another problem with this type of collection is that sometimes you only get a fraction of a larger story arc. This occurs when parts of a larger Kandor-based story from Superman Family #188 are omitted, leaving the reader wondering what has transpired. Overall, it was a disappointment as I wish more Silver Age material had been included. It was fairly entertaining, but immediately forgettable. I cannot recommend this one unless you find it in a bargain bin. Trade Mark: C+

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This TB taught me to not assume I know what's inside based on the cover. I assumed that all the stories would be Jimmy and Superman Silver Age Nightwing and Flamebird. A big disappointment.

Dr. Mindbender said...

What's with the cover? Looks like someone traced the original Swan art on a computer...