Monday, November 22, 2010

Single Issue Hall of Fame: Space Ghost (1987)

I was not reading too many comics when Comico first opened up shop, and I now realize that I missed a whole lot of greatness. Their Jonny Quest series is one of my all-time favourites, and I had no idea that they'd produced a Space Ghost book until a fine friend of mine from Kansas City sent a copy my way a while back. What a gorgeous book! It was printed on exceptional paper, and the colours look absolutely stunning. I imagine people felt some of sticker shock when they saw the $3.95 price tag back in 1987. It is worth it, though, as you get 43 pages of Steve Rude channeling Alex Toth. The story, by Rude and Mark Evanier, is a lot of fun as Space Ghost and crew must face the Hanna-Barbera equivalent of the Sinister Six. Evanier's experience in television is obvious here, as the story bounces along at a nice pace. It is a fun and unique book for its era, and about as far from the world of Watchmen and Dark Knight Returns as you can get. Sometimes, that's just what the doctor ordered.

2 comments:

Erik said...

Love this book. Just a great comic.

diana green said...

I agree, this book is a classic. There was also a really good Cartoon Network Space Ghost one-shot a few years ago, not as strong as this, but still worthwhile!