Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Exit Stage Left: Twilight Zone #92

Here's a terrific final issue, cover dated May, 1982, a full 18  years after the final episode of the TV series aired and a nearly 3 year hiatus since the previous issue. I devoured this series as well as other Gold Key/Whitman mystery titles as a child. A number of years ago, I stumbled upon a bargain bin containing a ton of final Gold Key/Whitman issues. Sure, it may be a bit on the esoteric side, but that's the stuff dreams are made of. This one is a true gem as it reprints the very first issue of the Twilight Zone series from 1962. These stories had all been reprinted in digest size, but I am very happy to own them in the standard format. Why I am so happy? Well, the artwork herein is provided by comic book legends Reed Crandall and George Evans, both working at the height of their powers. My favourite stuff involves a thief seeking refuge in a museum only to be transported back to Custer's Last Stand. It's great stuff and completely in keeping with the TV series. This is great stuff as the series comes full circle and signs off with a classic.

1 comment:

Scott M said...

Woops!

Fixed. Thanks. I must have had the original in my brain.