Monday, February 10, 2014

Steve Ditko Cover of the Week: Marvel Tales #143

I was reading my tattered copy of Marvel Tales #3 (1966) with my two kids last week. We had a good conversation about just how amazing Steve Ditko's character design was on the Lizard and how his work on Spidey villains overall is what led to the long-term success of the Spider-Man empire. Well, maybe I was rambling, but I think they were listening. On revisiting this story, I was struck by just how much I love the look of the Lizard. He's a great tragic, sci-fi monster. You all know that I love Ditko covers, but the cover to Amazing Spider-Man #6 never did much for me. It was only after seeing the cover to Marvel Tales #143 that I realized the problem. The colour was all wrong. He lab coat was purple! It ruins the overall effect as the Lizard's Green/White/Purple colour scheme is very appealing. I'm not sure who fixed it for this reprint cover, but I commend them as they've actually improved a Ditko cover - a rare feat.

2 comments:

Ralf H. said...

Welcome back. It's been a long time.

Scott M said...

Thanks - I'm going to try to write more consistently in 2014.