Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Steve Ditko Cover of the Week: Incredible Hulk #249

If you're anything like me, your initial reaction to this cover is "When did the Hulk appear in a Charlton comic?". This one might as well be called Ghost Banner (I got a million of 'em, folks). It is so Charltonesque and so unlike any other Hulk cover of that era that it's easy to forget that Ditko was one of the first artists ever to draw the Green Smasher . While I often enjoy the organic/minimalist look on Charlton books, it just doesn't work for me here. There is just too little to look at, and all of the figures appear clunky and rushed. The various bits of ice flying around confuse me - are they falling from the ceiling, or are they the result of the Hulk's punch? This is definitely one of Ditko's weaker efforts for the Big Two during that era as he bounced around from title to title.

1 comment:

Darkness U.S.A said...

I actually have that book