Wednesday, June 04, 2008

You've Been Warned: Secret Society of Super Villains #4

What a complete and utter disaster! Conceptually, there is so much that I want to like about the SSOSV, but the execution is so brutal than it just makes me cringe. This issue is a prime example of of why more is not necessarily better. If this society was so secret, how come it seems as though every villain in the DCU short of Egg Fu is a member? My real problem with this whole issue is that we've got 20 pages of bickering amongst the villains. Now, it was all very cute when Stan Lee introduced dysfunctionalism to comics in 1961, but 15 years later we're stuck with overkill. The art is beyond brutal - I'm not sure what's going on here. The team of Pablo Marcos, Ernie Chan and Vinnie C. somehow gives Gorilla Grodd two completely different faces, and this has got to be the least imposing Darkseid I've ever seen. The anatomy in the never ending Grodd/Kalibak punch-up is a lesson in how not to draw. I'm as nostalgic as the next nerd, but I cannot for the life of me understand the appeal of this book. I can't even spoil anything about the Black Racer's appearance - he doesn't show up until the final appeal. How did Manhunter go from Detective Comics to this crap?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dang it! I was planning on using this cover to kick off my elevated train cover thread.

Mickey Coalwell said...

If only Egg Fu had been included, this would surely have been a masterpiece. Is there anything a giant, racially insensitive Communist Asian egg can't do??

joe dec said...

I loved this series and hope the DC does one of there black and wite reprint books of it. This was a fun series, don't look too deep into it, just enjoy the ride.