Thursday, February 12, 2009

I Loves Me Some Occult Files of Dr. Spektor

Jesse Santos' artwork is an acquired taste, and I will freely admit that it took me a long, long time to acquire a taste for it. When I was very young comic book reader, Gold Key comics were widely available - often in the form of Whitman 3-packs, priced to sell at local discount retailers. I imagine that many of the Gold Key books I purchased and read were actually a couple of years old. So many of these seemed to feature the same scratchy, quasi-abstract artwork that did nothing for me. If I was a more glib blogger - I'd say that they looked as though they were drawn by a drunken Joe Kubert. As I've aged, I have come to appreciate the little things in life, and I can now fully appreciate all of the charm in Santos' work. There's also a raw energy, where the figures seem to be attempting an escape from the panels - or simply flow right into the scenery.

Dr. Adam Spektor fills the post-Kolchak, pre-Mulder void as he travels around the world investigating bizarre occurrences of all shapes and sizes. He has at least two female companions during his short stay in comics; Lakota and Lu-Sai. Don Glut's stories are fast-paced and imaginative, and have Dr. Spektor dealing with everything from Lewtonian zombies to Harryhausenesque living skeletons. I'm particularly fond of Simbar, the man-lion as he's the classic tragic monster, trying to protect his love. There's a lot of fun to be found in these books, and it is fortunate that they continue to reside in dollar bins around the world.

No comments: