Friday, March 05, 2010

Reprint This! Rip Hunter... Time Master

Most discussions regarding DC's Silver Age seem to skip right over Rip Hunter. That's too bad, as the Time Master has had plenty of colorful adventures. I guess this type of story fell out of favour for a while, but I'm thinking that they are now seem as having enough 'retro charm' to warrant a DC Showcase Presents volume. Between the try-out stories from Showcase and the ongoing series, there should be more than enough material. I've only read a handful of these, and I'd love to get my hands on some more. Alex Toth, Joe Kubert and Mike Sekowsky all contributed to early stories and I actually really like Bill Ely's storytelling in later issues. If I'm not mistaken, Nick Cardy and the Andru/Esposito team chipped in on a cover or two. In general, DC has been pretty good to us fans by thinking a little outside the box with the Showcase Presents series. I only hope that they continue to do so, and give us some 60s time travelling fun.

3 comments:

benday-dot said...

To add to your list fantastic creators Scott, I'll throw in Ruben Moreira. His work in the Showcase title is truly perfect for this sort of story. A few reprints are available, most notably in World's Finest #225, one of my favourite comics ever from the bronze age (also includes a rare Golden Age Black Canary story by Infantino). Craig

Thelonious_Nick said...

I picked up a Rip Hunter a couple years ago because it had a Hitler cover and came away impressed with the story-telling. I've gotten a couple since then, and quite enjoyed them. Odd, since I'm really more of a Marvel guy and this is a fairly obscure corner of the DC universe. In any case, I would buy a collection.

Jim Ryan said...

Hard to say whether they would bring this back, considering how many reboots the character's gone through over the years, with each of the later ones trying to make folks forget about the ill-executed TIME MASTERS limited series. Sometimes history's hard to live down...