Tuesday, December 14, 2010

I Loves Me Some: Y: the Last Man

I have been lucky enough to have a colleague with a big comic book budget. Over the last month or so, he has been providing me with a steady supply of Y: The Last Man Deluxe Edition hardcovers. So far, he's saved me over a hundred dollars. I had always heard great things about this series, but never got around to picking it up. In a way, I am glad I waited, as I have plowed through more than 45 issues in a very short span of time. I am not sure if I could have stuck with it month to month, as my patience isn't what it once was, and it was never very good. Churning through this story in a few sittings is likely the best way to read it. I can't wait to see how it all ends.

The premise is fantastic, and is executed very well by showing only tidbits of the catastrophe while avoiding a lot of potential for gore. I always appreciated this kind of restraint, as it allows your imagination to dream up various scenarios. Our sole male survivor, Yorick is a good protagonist as he bring some levity to a post- apocalyptic world. I have been reading (and watching) a lot of Walking Dead lately, so it is refreshing to read something with a lighter tone, although this is certainly not lacking in tension. Brian K. Vaughan and and Pia Guerra do a really good job of building a universe for Yorick and his companions. I also love the way they progress through the years by skipping whole chunks of the narrative. Sure, some of the tangents and subplots are a bit ridiculous but I can't really complain as the entire production requires the suspension of disbelief. I'm happy to do that.

No comments: