Friday, December 17, 2010

Trade Marks: Coraline

Here's my history of Coraline: I read the book years ago and quite enjoyed it. I have not seen the movie, but look forward to it. I was always vaguely aware that it had been adapted into funnybook format at some point, but never really sought it out. Last week, I spotted it on the shelf at my local library (Yay! Free Comics!) and decided to take it home. The story is a terrific, as Gaimain is a master of setting setting and atmosphere. We're immediately endeared to the young girl all alone in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by people who call her Caroline. Gaiman is aiming for Baum/Carroll territory with this tale and, for the most part, I think he gets there. He has created a wonderful universe and an intriguing set of ground rules. My only real wish is that the characters featured in the bookend segments of the story had been better fleshed out, especially Coraline's real parents. P. Craig Russell was the perfect choice for this adaptation. I hadn't seen his work in years, and he still knows how to tell a story, and his character designs are incredible. I may just have to buy this one. Trade Mark: A-

No comments: