Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Single Issue Hall of Fame: Peter Parker, the Spectacular Spider-Man #52

I have so much love for this book. This series has a ton of great issues, but I really think that this is the best of them. If you're like me, you like Spectacular because it's much more quiet than 'Amazing'. Perhaps it is because the supporting cast seemed to play more of a significant role, I'm not sure. I'm not normally a fan of the 'crazy ex-military' villain, but Gideon Mace is actually quite an effective character. His assault on White Tiger ultimately forces Hector to confront his addiction to the amulets and give up superheroing. Blackbyrd is also a great character, the kind or smart-assed NYC detective that only seems to exist in fiction. This story had a big impact on me as a child, and it still packs a punch today. Plus, one of Frank Miller's best covers. Ever.

No comments: