Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Steve Ditko Cover of the Week: Strange Suspense Stories #35

For some reason, this Code approved cover creeps me out more than 99% of pre-Code horror covers. As always, Ditko engages the reader by setting the perfect mood. The moths are both beautiful and disgusting and I just love the main figure's pose. Ditko was the king of unique poses - very different from anything others were doing at the time. Really awkward, but quite natural. I really like how Ditko signed his name back in the 50s, and really wished he'd been able to keep up with it. Hmmm.... now I'm getting an idea about Trapped in Lightbulb covers - I can think of a few.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

One of my favorite Ditko covers as well, simple, imaginative and effective. The colors aren't bad either.

Nick Caputo