Friday, May 15, 2009

Add It To My Want List: Flash Gordon: The Movie

Ok, so the movie is a turkey - a guilty pleasure, at best. That's a movie - and I'm here to talk about Flash Gordon comics. We're talking 72 pages of oversized Al Williamson here - that alone is enough to convince me. I knew that Gold Key/Whitman had adapted the movie as part of the ongoing Flash Gordon series, but I only recently became aware of the fact that it had been collected into one nice package. You know, the actual story to the movie really ain't all that bad - it's just the execution... and the acting. Bruce Jones and Al Williamson seem like a pretty capable team, and from what I've seen - Williamson's lush pencils are absoultely perfect for a Flash Gordon story. The only real question remaining is why don't I already own this one?

4 comments:

Me said...

The movie is indeed a guilty pleasure (for me and apparently Alex Ross), but as I comics fan, I'm tempted to check this out now.

Argo Plummer said...

Yeah, I didn't know about this. Not a big Flash Gordon fan, but I enjoyed the DC version in the 90's. Sounds interesting--would like to check it out too.

mlm said...

One of my favorite movies ever - and I can't really explain it. As for the comic, I have the 3 Gold Key issues, plus picked up this volume in both hardcover and softcover. You're right, Williamson is an awesome Flash Gordon artist, as he drew many issues over the years. Great stuff, highly recommended (and not just because of my Flash bias!)

Scott M said...

The more I think about it, the more I need this book!