Friday, July 03, 2009

Cheap Grapes: Loios Red 2007

OK, I'm not even going to know the first thing about Portuguese wine. Most of my experience comes from downing ice cold $1 bottle of Vinho Verde (complete with bottle cap) in Lagos in the early 90s. This is a blend of 3 grapes with which I'm unfamiliar, but it's made me take a step back and rethink my perspective on wine from the western end of the Iberian peninsula. It's a nice dense red, perhaps a bit fruity for my tastes, but at least it's more in the realm of dates and plums, so it steers clear of jammy territory. There's a nice smokey earthiness to it that makes it seem like a more expensive wine. It sells for $9.95 here in Ontario - so I'll bet it can be had for $6 or $7 in the U.S. and maybe £5 in England. It may not be one to give to your future in-laws on a first meeting, but it would be great for a barbecue or as a 'second bottle' of the night.

No comments: