Thursday, July 30, 2009

If I Were a Rich Man...

Heritage Auctions often has some pretty spectacular comic related items at auction. Their upcoming auction has a piece of original art that has me salivating on my keyboard. There are plenty of much more famous and iconic Berni Wrightson covers, but I've always loved his cover to Secrets of the Haunted House #5 from 1975. It's such a simple concept, but it's so brilliant. Another one of Wrightson's creepy goblins, but this time it's mostly hidden within this rather menacing pumpkin. Like many great horror covers, it leaves a lot to the imagination, and maybe that's why I've always found it to be so intriguing over the decades. The pumpkin's shadow on the floor is also perfectly executed, and seeing Wrightson's work in the original black and white is a real treat. I actually haven't seen that many Wrightston horror covers sold over the years, so I wouldn't be surprised if this one sold in the $7,500 to $10,000 range. That's more than the value of all my original artwork combined so count me out. Follow it here: http://comics.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=7009&Lot_No=92280

No comments: