Monday, October 05, 2009

Single Issue Hall of Fame: Action Comics #719

I'm as surprised as your are that I've nominated a 'mullet-era' Superman story for the Hall of Fame, but trust me on this one. I wasn't reading many Superman books in the mid-90s as the multiples titles with those little triangles were a bit too taxing for both my brain and wallet. It was a real treat to find a 'one and done' issue reuniting the 'World's Finest' team as they take on the Joker. The cover sold me on this one, but the story is why I love it. Lois has been poisoned by the Joker, and Superman and Batman learn that the only way to save Lois is to take the Joker's life. Superman is frustrated by the fact that his powers are of no use. I'm sure there are a million plot holes in this story, and that a true fanboy would point out that he should have gone back in time or something - but that misses the whole point. I loved this one when I read it back in the 90s, and was not surprised to see that it was written by David Michelinie, as he loves to play around with moral and/or ethical dilemmas. It's quite refreshing to see Superman trying to retain his Silver Age morals in the world of the Punisher and Spawn. Spoiler Alert: Everyone lives, but Lois is pissed.

2 comments:

Argo Plummer said...

I love this issue too. I was reading the weekly Superman titles at this time, and I believe this was part of their annual team-up month, where each of the four titles featured Superman and a guest star.

While they were all enjoyable, this was by far the stand out. A great story paired with excellent artwork by Kieron Dwyer (who I always thought was a strange artist for Superman, but he works well here.

When I purged my Superman titles a few years later, this was one of the few issues I held on to. Great choice.

Scott M said...

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who dug this one.