Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Steve Ditko Cover of the Week: Many Ghosts of Doctor Graves #33

Steve Ditko certainly produced many, many weird covers for Charlton during the 70s, but this one has to rank right up there among the weirdest. I love a good voodoo doll motif, and this one is spectacular. The dolls are unbelievably creepy, and don't actually look anything like the truly Ditkoesque man doubled over in pain. Their black eyes really creep me out, and that expressionless doll in the foreground is a very nice touch. Ditko didn't draw any of the interiors for this book, and the 'Doll Makers' story iteself was drawn by Pat Boyette. Those dolls have the Boyette touch to them, so I have a feeling that Ditko drew these, trying to keep true to Boyette's designs. I don't actually own this one - so I can't confirm how much they look like the dollars in the interior. A true Charlton oddity.

4 comments:

Jeremy A. Patterson said...

This was a downright wacky cover!

J.A.P.

bob said...

The story that goes with that cover is actually drawn by Sanho Kim, not Boyette, and the voodoo dolls don't look like the ones on the cover. And Ditko does have a story that issue, "Bury Him Deep".

Scott M said...

Weird

Either I was reading the wrong entry on the GCD the other day, or it has been changed since. All the names are there, but I swear they were for different stories. I even recall Aparo being credited for the art on the 'Letter From Beyond' page. I must be losing my mind or confusing it with another entry.

Forget everything I said above.

GarBut said...

Looks like those dolls have been hanging out with Coraline's "Other mother"...