Thursday, September 09, 2010

Highlighting House Ads: Shogun Warriors

Marvel was already knee deep into licensed properties by the time they started the Shogun Warriors series, but for some reason this one really click with me. I had a few of the toys (Dragun, Great Mazinga and Godzilla) and I absolutely adored them. Whatever happened to them? Mom? Anyway, I was pretty stoked about the comic series, as I was enjoying the Godzilla one. This ad certainly added fuel to the fire. While Herb Trimpe may never be mentioned in the same breath as Jack Kirby or Joe Kubert, he was certainly a very capable and versatile artist. I'm guessing that's why he was the go-to guy for Marvel on so many of its licensed property titles. How could any 7 year old have passed on this one? It's a very nicely designed full-pager, but I must admit that it is a bit text heavy. A nice, simple "They're Here!" would have sufficed.

No comments: