Friday, January 16, 2009

Trade Marks: Will Eisner's The Spirit

With all of the negative energy surrounding Denny Colt these days, I thought it would be nice to remind people of some of the good stuff. Even though I'm a big Darwyn Cooke fan, I must admit to being apprehensive about himlaunching this new Spirit series. I didn't buy any of the floppies, but waited for the hardcover to hit shelves. Sometimes, I'm soooo happy to be wrong. Cooke and J. Bone manage to breath new life into a still fresh concept. The stories have the perfect mixture of action and humour and the artwork manages to look both modern and retro at the same time. I was recently organizing some books and sat down and re-read this volume and I am happy to report that it's just as much fun the second time around. It's pretty darn close to comic book perfection. I understand from Chris at Collected Comics Library that a softcover TPB has been released and I urge any of you that haven't yet, to add this one to your collection. Trade Mark: A

1 comment:

Chris Marshall said...

Scott,
Thanks for the mention. The Spirit Vol. 1 Trade Paperback did indeed come out on December 3, 2008.
I am currently reading the classic Archive series, when I finish all of those, I'll work my way into the Cooke run.