Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Add It To My Want List: Curse of the Weird #4

I only became aware of this series a couple of years ago, and I have never seen a copy of this a particular issues in my countless hours of dollar bin diving. What a treat! It features a reprint of Bill Everett's Zombie - a story which I first read as part of Tales of the Zombie #1. It also has Atlas era tales drawn by Basil Wolverton, Jack Davis and Steve Ditko. In particular, I love Davis' art for Marvel in the late 50s and even into the early 60s. In some ways it is a shame he didn't do more work for the Big Two, or even at Warren. I'm sure he was able to pick and choose whatever work suited him the best. If I could track down this book for a dollar, it would be such a bargain. I could live without the cover, though - as I really prefer the retro covers that were commissioned for the other issues of this series. If I had seen this on the racks back in '94, I would have pass on it based on this cover, not realizing that it contained pure gold inside..

1 comment:

Jeremy A. Patterson said...

This was part of a line of horror reprint comics headed up by Cracked editor Mort Todd at the time!

J.A.P.