Thursday, December 17, 2009

You've Been Warned: Dazzler #2

I wanted to like this book, as I sometimes feel sorry for Dazzler because she seemed dated before she was launched. She doesn't need my pity, however, as 90% of the Marvel Universe seems to be looking out for her. This one starts with a whole bunch of heroes getting ready to head to a disco to see Dazzler perform. Tom DeFalco inserts some lame humour that has aged terribly. Of course, a fight breaks out, with the heroes battling a horde of demons summoned by the Enchantress. The middle act is all Marvel fisticuffs with next to no originality. The final act has Dazzler heading to the west coast for an audition. Of course, she only gets to perform for the big producer because 30 superheroes smashed through his office window. I can't understand why all of these folks are so obsessed with Dazzler. They have only known her a few weeks. Weren't there any threats at all to the world that day? Did they think Stingray could handle it alone? Did they ever show up to support Simon Williams at an audition? I know it is all supposed to make me feel warm and fuzzy, but it has me rolling my eyes. Luckily, the series gets better.

9 comments:

Aaron said...

LOL! I always think of how badly Dazzler was "dated before she was launched" whenever I watch the episode of Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends with Video Man "The World's Newest Superhero!". I keep picturing Stan Lee "We should do something with video games. The kids today love the video games". Dazzler is clearly from the same school of thought.

Anonymous said...

Wasn't it Casablanca Records that came to Stan with the basic idea? Other than a few issues with Paul Chadwick art, there wasn't much to like about Dazzler.

Brian Busby said...

I imagine it's particularly hard to absorb the blast of a power bolt, or even take a punch, whilst wearing roller skates.

"GUEST-STARRING
SPIDERMAN!
THE FANTASTIC FOUR!
THE X-MEN!
THE AVENGERS!"

And still I wouldn't buy the thing.

Andrew Wahl said...

"Luckily, the series gets better."

With Frank Springer and Vince Colletta art? Scott, I don't know if I'm going to be able to respect you in the morning after this one : )

Cheers,
Andrew

Edo Bosnar said...

Count me among those who NEVER got Dazzler - from the very start when she was introduced in X-men. I was about 11-12 yrs old at the time, and I remember thinking, "really, a heroine who's a disco singer? Isn't it about 3 years too late for that?" And then I watched in disbelief as she got her own series, and when that died, Claremont eventually moved her into the X-men...

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Ed Ooo said...

When I was 13 or 14 I remember thinking that Dazzler looked sexier than the pictures of the playmates I used to sneak into the bathroom. I suppose you'd have to credit Frank Springer and Vince Colletta with that, right?

Jamie said...

Hey, don't hate on Stingray. How many other marine biologists have their own Hydro Base and a suit so cool Iron Man tried to beat them up?

Bring on the Stingray ongoing, I say!

Scott M said...

Actually, I have a place in my heart for Stingray.

And Frank Springer.

Vince Colletta? No so much.