Friday, December 11, 2009

Hidden Gems: Giant Size Kid Colt #3

There are plenty of gems hidden in these Giant Size books, but I bring this one to your attention because it includes a story drawn by Reed Crandall. Sure, it is only 4 pages, but it is from 1956, when Crandall was still on the top of his game. Crandall is one of the all-time greats, and although he was still doing some new work in the early 70s, he had lost quite a bit of his touch and was out of the industry by 1974. His is a sad story, but his artwork should always be celebrated. The GCD states that there are two Crandall stories - but I think the other one they mention is Jack Keller. I don't have it in front of me right now, so I cannot confirm. It also includes a Joe Maneely story, a great Gil Kane cover and some Jack Keller goodness, if that's your cup of tea (I know it is mine). We're also in the 'Night Rider' era of the Ghost Rider's history, and this one has a new story. It isn't amazing, but any new western material is always welcome. It may take you a while to track down a copy of this one - but it will be worth it.

No comments: