Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Steve Ditko Cover of the Week: Nukla #4

This is from the period where Ditko artwork was popping up everywhere, including ACG and Dell. Nukla was a short lived superhero title from Dell, and Ditko was brought in to draw the final issue, including the cover. I find the cover to be quite dynamic and nicely designed. Sal Trapani inked this one, and while I don't actually think he's the worst choice for Ditko inkers, he does seem to sap some of the Ditko energy out of the cover. The result is more of a toned down Ditko, much like what Ralph Reese did with Ditko's Magnus Robot Fighter in the early 90s. It's not bad, but I'd prefer it to be a little less clean looking. The word balloons are also a bit too intrusive and the garish color choices do not help. Overall, I like the overall design, and the figures but the final execution makes it feel too generic to be a great Diko cover.

6 comments:

Jeremy A. Patterson said...

This was a pretty darn good heroic effort from Dell!

J.A.P.

Frank D. C. said...

Hi,

I just discovered your blog and after speed-reading through a big chunk of it, I felt the warm-fuzzy rush of discovering a kindred spirit. Just had to write something.

I'm 35, lived in Toronto for the first 33 years of my life, love movies (Ed Wood is a favourite, too, but prefer Royal Tenenbaums), like Neil Young, Juliana Hatfield and Sloan and I've loved, loved, LOVED comics my whole life.

One of the great joys is learning about hidden/forgotten gems (just found out about the Evanier/Spiegle run on Blackhawk thanks to Back Issue magazine), and your blog is full of such info. Awesome! Great job. (Love You've Been Warned as well.)

Four-Color Kid said...

Althought I prefer Ditko's own inks to most inkers, I like what Reese did on MAGNUS. His MAGNUS work wasn,t his much inspired anyway. Other inkers that kinda "cleaned" Ditko's stuff that were a good match (IMHO) were Craig Russell on ROM (again, late Ditko stuff is far from his best work) and I loved Wally Wood inks on Ditko's STALKER (when Ditko was in his prime).

Not a huge fan of Sal Trapani. He's okay but doesn't stand out among other inkers of that period. Then again, a lot of people prefer inkers that don't stand out and let the penciller's work stand out. I usually agree with this. But in Ditko's case (when he doesn't ink himself), he needs a strong inker.

Scott M said...

Frank

I'm glad you stopped by. As for the Royal Tenebaums, when I was decided to buy my current house, I told my Dad it had a 'Royal Tenebaums' feel. It is circa 1905, with Lots of little bathrooms and bedroom doors set at 45 degree angles. We've got a tiny linen close I plan on dedicated to board games.


MOB - I agree, Reese certainly made Ditko more appealing and accessible at that stage. Wood is a great example of someone who can 'clean up' Ditko while leaving in the charm.

Frank D. C. said...

Scott,

I'm very jealous--I adore old houses; I've even got the "Old Toronto Houses' book. Board game closet=awesome!

Blair said...

You're probably going to do an article on it (I hope!)but have you read 'Strange Suspense' yet and if you have is it any good???
As ever,fab site!