Thursday, November 26, 2009

Buster Bunny #11: A Pleasant Surprise

I must admit that I'm not the world's biggest fan of Funny Animal comics. Sure, I like Pogo and Daffy Duck, but the vast majority of funny animal comics just don't do it for me. A few years ago, I bought a big cheap lot of beat up Golden Age books on eBay, mainly because it include a Jann of the Jungle and a few IW/Super reprints. I finally got around to reading this issue of Buster Bunny from 1951 and I must say that I thoroughly entertained. I have no idea who provided the art, but it's got an Al Fago feel to it. The main story is very charming, as the mischievous bunnies break their father's television and spend the rest of the day trying to repair it before he finds out. This includes a visit to a television studio where they interrupt some live broadcasts. It's a fun way to get a behind the scenes look at early era television production. I was shocked by the length of the story, as it ran 16 pages, which seems a good deal longer than your run of the mill funny animal story. This one goes to show that it is best to keep an open mind, because you never know what will put a smile on your face.

No comments: