Friday, November 27, 2009

Can I Take 'The Road'?

I've been reading a lot of press about the adaptation of Cormac McCarthy's The Road lately. I've never been one to shy away from challenging movies, but I'm not so sure I can take this one. I read the novel over a year ago, and I'm still haunted by it. I have never had such an emotional reaction to a book. It was as if I was punched in the stomach repeatedly. The sense of impending doom that McCarthy infused in those pages was almost too much for me to take. I had a lump in my throat the entire time, and my heart ached for the characters. It took me a little over two hours to read it, and it was both the shortest and longest two hours of my life. Maybe it would have been different if it came out before I was a father, who knows? All I know is that I was in tears throughout it, and I just don't know if I can see all of that portrayed on the screen. If you are in a Toronto movie theatre over the next few weeks and see a grown man blubbering away - it may very well be me.

No comments: