Thursday, November 05, 2009

You've Been Warned: DC Special #27

As you may have figured out by now - I can often find the silver lining in many a dark and cloudy comic book. I just cannot bring myself to say nice things about DC Special #27. It is another one of Bob Rozakis' completely incomprehensible stories. As far as I can tell, a meteor is responsible for creating certain holes in time. On other hand, perhaps Chronos is behind it all - it was all a bit tough to sort out. Tommy Tomorrow is sucked backwards in time to one of the 'zoic' or 'aceous' periods filled with dinosaurs. Dinosaurs are also popping up in the present day and Captain Comet (who for some reason was hanging out with Hawkman on the JLA satellite) decides to get involved. All of this time-crunching brings to mind Zero Hour, and that's never a good thing. A T-Rex stands too close to the magical meteor and 'evolves' into a humanoid of sorts (complete with unitard). Huh? Somehow, it is all sorted out in the end, but I was left scratching my head. The script is just a mess and Rozakis uses that lame 'Dear Reader' voice in captions. Rich Buckler's page layouts do not help matters in the least, as his attempts at ambitious design only muddy the waters. I do like Joe Rubinstein's inks, though - so that's a plus. This is a series of hits and misses. File this one under 'miss'.

2 comments:

Rok said...

I bought this one for the Buckler art and was happy with it.

I thought I was the only one who didn't understand the story.

Scott M said...

I grow more and more confused each time I read this book.